Scott Rosenberg wrote an interesting piece in Salon called How Blogs Changed Everything, and this particular passage gave me pause:
...of all the species of writer, bloggers are the least insulated from their audience, most vulnerable to the ebb and flow of attention and response. They are both alone and in a crowd. Their solitude can inspire self-indulgent ranting; their sociability can tempt them into self-serving pandering. But every now and then they manage to hold their balance in this paradoxical position for an extended, exhilarating spell.
I can dig that.
This blog is my cybersoap box, my little piece of cyber Speaker's Corner, if you will.
...of all the species of writer, bloggers are the least insulated from their audience, most vulnerable to the ebb and flow of attention and response. They are both alone and in a crowd. Their solitude can inspire self-indulgent ranting; their sociability can tempt them into self-serving pandering. But every now and then they manage to hold their balance in this paradoxical position for an extended, exhilarating spell.
I can dig that.
This blog is my cybersoap box, my little piece of cyber Speaker's Corner, if you will.
I write these days to get out what's in my head, whether it's wishing I had arms like Linda Hamilton, or missing a friend, or buying a cherry tomato plant at the Reston Farmer's Market.
Purely selfish reasons.
I sit here in my nightie, on my bed, writing, when I really should be sleeping, and I forget that once I hit the "Publish" button, a bajillion people could see this (even though it's really only three).
Is this self-indulgent ranting or self-serving pandering? Perhaps, but I am trying for the extended exhilerating spell--really, I am. Because what it all comes down to is this: I can talk to my cats (and don't think I don't), talk to myself (and don't think I don't) about what's running through my mind at any given moment. Or I can share my thoughts with folks who, while they don't see me everyday, or look deep into my eyes and say "I love you," seem to care that I have something to say. And I DO have something to say. It might not be the top ten ways to make your life more interesting and meaningful, or five reasons girls like to kiss more than boys, or whatever lists folks are conjuring up elsewhere, but once in awhile, my scribblings might be read by whomever and mean SOMETHING.
Is this self-indulgent ranting or self-serving pandering? Perhaps, but I am trying for the extended exhilerating spell--really, I am. Because what it all comes down to is this: I can talk to my cats (and don't think I don't), talk to myself (and don't think I don't) about what's running through my mind at any given moment. Or I can share my thoughts with folks who, while they don't see me everyday, or look deep into my eyes and say "I love you," seem to care that I have something to say. And I DO have something to say. It might not be the top ten ways to make your life more interesting and meaningful, or five reasons girls like to kiss more than boys, or whatever lists folks are conjuring up elsewhere, but once in awhile, my scribblings might be read by whomever and mean SOMETHING.
Do you have something to say? Well, I'll listen, I'll read--whatever. I'll get off my soapbox and help you up. There's room for you. There's room for everyone.
Photos:
UK - London - Knightsbridge: Hyde Park - Speaker's Corner
Cherry Tomatoes in June I
Photos:
UK - London - Knightsbridge: Hyde Park - Speaker's Corner


Hurl your thoughts where you may, let the wind sow them across the sky...
ReplyDeleteI think people write online-on facebook or twitter or blogs or whatever in the search for something bigger. It's a way to reach out-to try to connect. To me it's much the same as theatre. You're trying to connect and become a part of something bigger and thinking maybe your ideas can make the world a better place... That's why I write things down anyway.
ReplyDeleteYou're on to something Bethany! It's totally about connection. To me, it's also about creating, maintaining and participating in a community. It really does take a village to raise this child :)
ReplyDelete