
Marilyn, Alan, and Some Espresso
Originally uploaded by ToeKneeBroh
I took this photo at Christmas dinner at my brother' Jasons house. I wouldn't even consider photography a hobby; my expertise ranks just above water color painting but a litle bit below coloring between the lines.
....well...maybe not. Stupid lines.
I tend not to ask people to pose for photos, but would rather try to capture them in a moment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Many times, I'll photograph a "moment," and even go so far as to shout, "AHA!" I'll proudly show my newly created masterpiece to the subject, who will usually get a small fake smile on their face and say, "Oh!" giggle a bit and hand the camera back to me.
Well at least I had fun taking it.
I tend to be a bit invisible at my brother's house when there's company over. I don't have kids to yell at, or a significant other to make fun of, so I sit quietly near my niece and nephew, cut up their meat and listen. During Christmas dinner, I had my camera at the table and was looking through the digital screen without picking it up while the others discussed Tiger Woods and how people go on about him too much. I liked the look on Alan's face and took the photo. I didn't notice Marilyn's face through the water pitcher until I pulled the image up on my computer--that was a bonus, in my book.
I think I like playing around with my photos on Picasa more than taking the photos. I'm using my favorite tool in this one, the one where you can control where the color is. I guess you're also controlling the photo's story when you fool around with it like I do.
To be honest, I wasn't thinking "story" when I chose to save the image like this. I just thought it looked cool. It's like the cup and saucer get their own special moment. I'm sure there's lots of discourse on black and white versus color images in photography and what psychological reactions they generate, but I wasn't trying to make any other statement than an aesthetically pleasing one--well, to me, at least...
If I ever get Photoshop, watch out!
No comments:
Post a Comment