I previously wrote about how I want to engage in both my online and offline communities. Engaging in my offline community is not a problem (Thanks, friends! You know who you are.); however the online community proves to be a bit more challenging. Currently, I reach out my virtual hand and:
No one is there
Someone is there, but only gives me a pinky in return
Someone is there, but wants to sell me something
Once in a blue moon, I get a response
Now before my readers bristle in indignation—How dare she? I’m reading this just shy-of-grammatically-correct blog of hers and she’s criticizing me for not engaging with her!! Outrageous! Incotheiveable!—please let me assure you that I realize it’s my own fault.
It recently occurred to me that there’s engaging and then there’s contributing. Perhaps “contributing” needs to become a priority.
Waving my virtual hand (Helloooo! I’m over here! Pick me! Pick me!) doesn’t cut it. Just because I throw up a great headshot and make my presence known to cyberspace doesn’t mean that I automatically get immersed in deep conversation and folks start inviting me out for coffee. Just because I “retweet” on Twitter doesn’t mean that folks are going to want to get to know @toniraebrotons better. Only practicing the “engagement” part and contributing little is like I got invited to a potluck and brought no dish to pass.
(Yes, it all comes back to food for me.)
Original photo can be found here
It’s a start.
Is there anyone else out there who feels this way? Do you engage, rather than contribute? Do you stand on the sidelines and go through the motions because that’s what everyone else seems to be doing, but do not share a part of yourself? Well, know that you’re not alone! Reach out your virtual hand, take mine, and we’ll jump in together.
Toni Rae,
ReplyDeleteI know just what you mean because I try to stay engaged but so far I've been a taker, not a giver. Before I'm willing to really contribute, I think I'm subconsciously - or partially consciously - looking for the void that I'll fill. What kind of unique contribution can I make? I feel like the guy in A Beautiful Mind (not to compare myself to a schizophrenic genius, or anything...) who waits and waits until he has a truly unique original idea. But what is there that hasn't already been addressed, covered or answered to some extent in cyberspace?
To finish on a more optimistic note, I'm lurking with purpose.
ReplyDeleteYOU are the unique contribution, Mendy. Not to get all hippy-dippy, but there's only one you, and the perspective that you bring to something will be different than anyone else. I do agree that there's very little that's not addressed in cyberspace; but...well...so what? For example, we all know that chocolate is fabulous. Why does Mendy think it's fabulous? Maybe you've got an experience with chocolate that no one else has had, or, more importantly, is similar to what someone else had and presto! You've made a connection. There's potential brilliance in that, I assure you. But lurk away! As the queen of lurkers, I realize the value in waiting, in taking it all in. Stay on the sidelines--just don't leave the game, because someday you'll want to play.
ReplyDelete