Thursday, March 26, 2009

Is Ooga-Booga a Word, or Did I Just Make It Up?

The greatest fear about participating in social media--for personal or business reasons--is the lack of CONTROL about how others will respond to what you put out there for all to see.

But guess what? All those "ooga-boogas" out there that might say something nasty about you once you're on display--they're ALREADY talking about you! They already have an opinion about you and your profile pic and status message or 140 characters isn't going change their minds. Granted, since you're fairly intelligent and know your business better than anyone else, you might actually blog/post/tweet something meaningful and they might come around, but that risk is greater than the reward, isn't it?

But what if the opposite is true? What if all the ooga-boogas AREN'T talking about you? They don't even know you exist. The ooga-boogas are chatting up some other so and so, investing their energy and thus their emotion on someone that isn't you. Well, at least you have your e-mail contact list and your pen pals. And your grandma.

Hey, we all know I'm a Jump in! The water's fine! kind of gal. But let's face it: social media isn't going away. It's not some fad, like those ridiculously high platform sneakers they used to wear in the late 90s.

(you can buy these here)

But what do I know? I'm just some chick who spends a lot of time on the Internet. What good would it do if you raised MY interest?

No comments:

Post a Comment