So with that in mind, here are my observations and reactions to the process of getting this show off the ground, from soup to nuts. Most of it isn’t about me, but rather my good friend Deb:
Deb at the Venus Theatre Playshack in Laurel, MD
Work on something you LOVE: The story of Medea has been in Deb’s life since 1982. She even dressed up as Medea in high school—yes, she was one of those brave and crazy ones and that has served her well since then.
It never hurts to ask: Deb approached Julianne about writing an adaptation of Medea for her; Julianne wasn’t entirely sold on the idea, but she slept on it and later agreed to do it. After workshopping the piece at the Kennedy Center Page to Stage Festival last September, Julianne next flew out from Los Angeles this past March and worked with Deb and the "stage" cast for two days. We thought we had a great play when we sat down and read it the first time, but then Deb kept "asking" and inspired Julianne to write something even more amazing.
Deb & Julianne
Know your strengths and your passions: Deb initially wanted to play Medea herself; however, she realized that for this particular show, she wanted to participate in the creation of the entire story and that directing the piece would be much more satisfying to her. From my perspective, I'm glad she did :)Wait for your dream cast: one of Deb’s biggest challenges is getting professional actors to audition for her—Laurel is not an easy commute (it’s over an hour during rush hour for me). Deb had some dropouts and some re-casts, but she finally got who she wanted. I can vouch for them—they’re all pretty awesome.
There’s a fine line between collaboration and leadership: Deb by nature is nurturer and shares her creative space very well, but there was no question who’s driving the bus. A theatre production is a synthesis—lots of parts coming together, but you still need one person to make sure that all the parts stay true to the vision. Even after we stared at her blankly when she excitedly told us about her film projector/clips on the cutting room floor metaphor, she made it work—the projector is one of the coolest non-actor moments in the show.
JUST DO IT. The money will come. It will (Sark): Who in their right mind would open a feminist theatre in a former Chinese restaurant in Laurel, MD, a town folks speed past on I-95 on their way either to Baltimore or DC? Crazy, huh? But who of you out there has your own theatre, can produce whatever work you want to, collaborate with who you want to and still have time to swim 30 laps a day? Yeah, I didn’t think so. I’m INSANELY jealous...
This is my third time working with Venus Theatre and I still shake my head in wonder about how Deb manages to pull it off. This time, she did it with flying colors. Here’s hoping the power of the theatrical review can work its magic.
Sure, I want you to come and see me in the show. I get to play Medea—geez, when am I ever gonna get an offer like that again? I get to say some pretty funny, scathing, remarkable things (thanks, Julianne!), and Deb taught me how to play the guitar. So aside from the fact that I have some wickedly fast costume and makeup changes, I’m having a blast. But don’t just see it because I’m in it. See it because this play and this theatre deserve an audience. Venus Theatre’s mission is to “set flight to the voices of women.” Come to Homokay’s Medea and watch how wonderfully Deb set flight to her own.
Sure, I want you to come and see me in the show. I get to play Medea—geez, when am I ever gonna get an offer like that again? I get to say some pretty funny, scathing, remarkable things (thanks, Julianne!), and Deb taught me how to play the guitar. So aside from the fact that I have some wickedly fast costume and makeup changes, I’m having a blast. But don’t just see it because I’m in it. See it because this play and this theatre deserve an audience. Venus Theatre’s mission is to “set flight to the voices of women.” Come to Homokay’s Medea and watch how wonderfully Deb set flight to her own.
Homokay’s Medea runs through May 31 on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays at 8:00 pm and Sunday’s at 3:00 pm. Reserve your tickets online. Readers of this blog can enter “Artist” as a promo code to get $15 tickets.




No comments:
Post a Comment